Are you a secondary school teacher keen on taking your career to the next level? Foundation Institute of Africa (FIA) in partnership with National Authority for the Campaign against Drug Abuse (NACADA) is offering you an opportunity to stand out from crowd through our tailor-made Security and Safety special programme specially crafted to empower teachers with much needed skills in handling rising cases of unrest, drug abuse and security in secondary school.
In the wake of spiraling cases of unrests and insecurity in secondary schools witnessed across the country in 2016 and which have continued to spiral, the ministry on Education through its special report cited poor leadership and drug abuse as the main causes of the unrest in schools. A report by the drug control agency NACADA released 2017 further cited drug and substance abuse as the main cause of unrest in schools witnessed in 2016. It is based on this backdrop that FIA approached NACADA, Ministry of Education and other partners to formulate a special programme targeting secondary school teachers aimed at stemming this growing problem.
The NACADA report dubbed “National survey on alcohol and drug abuse among secondary school students in Kenya” established that the fight against drug and substance abuse has been mainly hindered by lack the following reasons:-
- Lack of special training on drugs to enable teachers identifies and counsel affected students.
- Guidance and counseling sessions in secondary schools mainly are not conducted on a regular basis because the teachers responsible are also engaged in other responsibilities and only get involved when cases are reported to them.
- Lack of a drug and substance abuse curriculum.
Through our partnership with NACADA and the Ministry of Education, Foundation Institute of Africa will bridge the gap and provide the much needed training on drugs and substance abuse. The program TARGETS over 6000 teachers from secondary schools all over the country in a period of three years. The course will focus on:-
- Introduction to alcohol, drug and substance abuse.
- Basic counseling skills.
- Motivational interviewing.
- Increasing teacher and student awareness and understanding of drug and substance abuse in the society.
- Providing current information, knowledge and skills in handling drug and substance abuse related cases in schools.
- How to engage students in activities and forums that will boost awareness on the dangerous effects of drugs and substance abuse
Through this programme, FIA seeks to supplement existing efforts by the government and other partners in making the school environment conducive for learning.
Enroll now for the special programme and take your career to the next level!